HE RESTORED US
Because of what God has already done to rescue, redeem and reconcile us to Himself, He has begun to restore us now and will complete what He began when Jesus returns.
BECAUSE OF GOD’S MERCY, He intervened to put right what went wrong in the Garden of Eden. Salvation means “wholeness”. Sin broke our fellowship with Him and set us on a pathway to destruction. The Holy Spirit restores the image of Jesus in us.
What does that mean?
Jesus’ whole life was a mirror of the Father. When we look at Jesus, we see the Father.
“Philip said, ‘Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.’
“Jesus answered, ‘Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me as seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?’” John 14:8-10a.
What kind of person was Jesus? How did He live and how did He treat people? We can only examine a few of His characteristics that help us to understand what kind of person He was and how He showed us what the Father is like.
- Jesus was committed to the truth. He was the truth, He told the truth and He lived by the truth. He knew and obeyed the Word of God because God’s word is truth (John 17:17).
- Jesus loved all people without exception and without condition. He did whatever He could to bring healing to body and soul and to restore them to the family of God.
- Jesus was a man of joy. He was the happiest man who ever lived because He trusted and obeyed God and lived in harmony with Him.
- Jesus was a man of peace. Jesus knew who He was – God’s beloved Son – and the peace in His heart mirrored the truth.
- Jesus was full of compassion and mercy. He cared about people’s suffering and did what He could to help them. He revealed the MERCY OF GOD, in the most powerful way by laying down His life for us.
Because Jesus gave His life for us, He undid everything Adam’s disobedience did in the Garden of Eden. He exposed Satan for the liar, deceiver and murderer he is, He defeated him at the cross; He brought us back to the Father and He made it possible for God to restore everything that was broken at the Fall.
“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling with God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
“He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ Then He said, ‘Write this down for these words are trustworthy and true.’” Revelation 21:1-5.
Scripture taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Have you read my new book, Learning to be a Son – The Way to the Father’s Heart (copyright 2015, Partridge Publishing)? You’ll love it!